Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sleeping Progress

I'm happy to report that Samantha is really mellowing out - she's sleeping more and crying less. Yipee!!

The first six weeks were kind of rough. She cried quite a bit - I think mostly because her nervous system and digestive system were still immature. I once read a doctor describing the reason newborns cry as because 'our world is too still and quiet' after being in utero for 9 months. I think that is a very accurate description.

Samantha is now doing much better. She cries a lot less and is actually happy to hang out in her crib. She's sleeping better at night too; we've fallen into a pattern with a solid 5 hours in between feedings. We've timed it so I only get up once in the middle of the night - I feed her at 11 pm, then again around 4 am and then she sleeps until the morning (7 or 8 am).

The funniest thing about all of this is that Papa Tigger and I were bemoaning how much more difficult she was than Tigger - why won't she go back to sleep? why is she crying? Then I went back and read some old posts and found this one about Tigger's early months. He was exactly the same! An excerpt:

I'm not going to lie; the first 6-8 weeks were a bear. Tigger needed to eat every 3 hours, though that wasn't the hard part. The hard part was getting him to sleep! He rarely wanted to go down in the evening and would rarely go back to sleep after those middle of the night feedings

I can't finish a post without a picture of our beautiful kids, so here's a few:


1 comment:

Debbi said...

So precious! Can't wait to hold them. Glad to hear things are settling down a bit!
Hugs from Grandma T