Thursday, April 9, 2009

Breastfeeding "Propoganda"

I think we all know that "Breast is Best" and that there is a tremendous amount of guidance given to new parents regarding the benefits of breast-feeding. Papa Tigger and I took it all in, drank the koolaid to a certain extent and decided that we would go that route with Tigger. During the pregnancy and newborn period, we were exposed to the vast amount of pro-breastfeeding information (or propoganda) that is targeted to new parents. While we agree that the benefits should be communicated, we wondered whether a more balanced viewpoint was available.

Last week, I stumbled on an interesting article called The Case Against Breast-Feeding. Don't be put off by the title; it's not anti-breastfeeding, it's just that balanced viewpoint that Papa Tigger and I were wondering about. I think it's a very interesting (and funny) article that any parent or soon-to-be-parent should read.

Like the author, I think Papa Tigger and I are glad Tigger was breastfed, will continue it for future children, but recognize that maybe the medical community doesn't have absolutely everything figured out when it comes to breast-feeding.

No comments: