Monday, February 18, 2008

Doctor's Visit #1

So today, Papa Tigger and I went for our first doctor's appointment. The doctor was really great; she sat with us for over half an hour answering all our questions. Unfortunately, since I'm only 8 weeks, it's too hard to hear a heartbeat, so there was no sonogram. Basically they took blood and urine to run a bunch of tests.

I was able to get a green light on some foods I was unsure of (fish, coffee), but was denied even the littlest bit of a few others (soft cheese, alcohol).

We also had a lengthy discussion with the doctor about my hypertension. I knew it would be something we would have to watch, but I didn't realize it would label my pregnancy as "high risk." The doctor wants me to see an ob specializing in high risk pregnancies, so we can develop a plan if the blood pressure becomes a problem. I'll also have more frequent sonograms (once monthly and towards the end of the pregnancy, once weekly) and am at high risk for preeclampsia. She also said that they won't let me go past my due date at all and would induce if I don't deliver by then. And since I take two medications for my hypertension, she wants me to explore cutting back to one and monitoring my pressure.

Another thought - I learned that once I'm over 35 (not yet), I'm at risk for a lot more complications and would be labeled a geriatric pregnancy! At least we got this one in under the wire! Baby #2 will be even more complicated. But that's a long way off.......

I'll finish this post with a happier note. This week we are entering week 9 and that means that I now have an embryo the size of a grape inside me!

No comments: