Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pre-Mother's Day

Mama Tigger and I headed to G-Ma & G-Pa T's place for Mother's Day and G-Ma T's birthday. It was a fun time. I learned that I slept through the night at 2 weeks. 2 weeks! Not gonna happen for Tigger...

The discussions with my parents fueled the debate Mama Tigger and I are having over the whole breastfeeding versus formula question. My parents chose the formula route (hence, the sleeping through the night at 2 weeks). I have been reading up on the question and have had difficulty finding a balanced, unbiased discussion. Everything is pro-breastfeeding...

There is no question there are real benefits to breastfeeding. It is nature's milk, after all. So, in the comparison of breast milk to formula themsleves, there is a clear winner. And that is where most every article I have read on the topic ends. However, what about the external realities that result from breastfeeding?

First, I can't participate, until pumping begins. And even then, Mama Tigger spends as much or more time pumping than if she just fed Tigger outright. Sucks for me, and adds stress / work on Mama Tigger.

The countless hours feeding, pumping, feeding, pumping and feeding again will certainly add up. Such effort will undoubtedly add more stress to our lives and the life of Tigger, not to mention the physical strain on Mama Tigger.

At what point does this stress add up to compete against the raw benefits of breast milk over formula? Yes, I know our "priorities are changing", but we cannot neglect the fact that Mama Tigger is a driven and ambitions person. Is it fair for her to take on such a responsibility when a perfectly acceptable alternative exists, that will allow us to share in the experience and provide a less stressful environment for Tigger?

No comments: